3.9.11

*

We’re currently in the middle of some serious picture hanging. That’s right people. 4 months after we moved in we’re finally getting the last bits sorted, the last boxes unpacked. I’m on a mission.

While our house isn’t quite ready to be photographed, I thought I’d give you a glimpse into my grandparent’s house. I took these when we were in Cornwall because it’s always been such an inspirational place. Overlooking Lands End, their cottage is rammed with treasures. Seriously, it’s like walking through the best antique shop ever. I could happily steal so much.

My Grandma’s interior taste has rubbed off on my sister and me greatly since we were kiddos, when we spent many weekends there playing with everything. That’s what I love the most – my Grandma always views these treasures as pieces to be used. We were never told to not touch and bits were never moved out of reach. We always knew to be careful and to take care of these beautiful trinkets, but there were there to enjoy as they should be. From vintage clothes when we were dressing up and linen textiles on the table and bed, to the antique settle that would be our horse and cart or the Victorian high chair we were all sat in.

This is something I really want to emulate when our own bambino arrives. Our house is full of trinkets too and while I’m not naive enough to believe a crawling toddler may not grab this or that, we won’t be changing the way we live or decorate. Our baby will learn to touch and play gently, to enjoy these things as we did, and I will learn to let that happen and not be scared of breakages. Well, that’s the plan anyway. Get back to me in a year and we’ll see how well that one’s working out...

Oh, and a big hoorah for reaching 120 followers. Hello newbies and welcome. It’s lovely to have you all here xx

9 comments:

  1. wow, her cottage is a dream with breathtaking vistas. i especially love her perfectly imperfect little garden with moss and grass growing in between the stones. thank you for this little glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! I'm so glad this isn't your place. I'm not QUITE as jealous now... until I see your crazy nesting and decorating efforts, I'm sure!

    Lovely photos, Nell. And a sweet little thought about placing trust in your little one. Though, yes...brace yourself for trinket carnage. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandma's house is so perfectly british, i love it! Can't wait for a "tour" of your house. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cute house- I'm so glad that you took photos to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandparents place is divine. Just so lovely. And how lucky were you to be growing up with all this whimsy?! Love it.

    p.s Yes I will check back in a year ;) Great plan though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was seriously holding my breath as i scrolled through these pictures. thinking all the while 'where is this amazing place?'

    i've never put those frustrating kiddy locks on cupboards and people often comment that my laptop / china / picture frames are within reach of the children. mine were taught 'gentle hands' early on. when other peoples little ones come over though. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, your grandparents' house is absolutely delightful, so pretty and so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous, sweet home your grandparents have. Your grandmother has quite the eye for decorating. Quite magical for a little child to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love these photos it all seams so very english to me.

    ReplyDelete